Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Statue - A Work In Progress

The Statue

It all started with the film "Spirited Away". I really liked that film and much of its imagery. I like the glimpses of Japanese culture as well.

There was one statue in the film that I really thought was interesting, and a fore shadowing of a theme in the film.



In the movie the statue is shown to have a face on both sides. In this case, the faces seems to be the same. I backed and paused the DVD several times checking this.

I had thought to buy some Studio Ghibli toy that of that statue - ideally a potted plant watering device. The kind where you stick it in the soil, fill it with water, and it waters slowly over time. But I was unable to find one.

Then some one suggested, "Hey, you're an artist, why do not you make your own?"

So I pondered. Do I do a six inch soapstone?
Do I try a SuperSculpie / Fimo sculpture? How big?

Then I read about Hypertufa.
Tufa is a light weight rough stone that is easily carved and was popular for troughs and planters in England.
Hypertufa is a man made substitute. It is made from a mix of Portland Cement, Vermiculite, and Peat moss. The recipes vary but after some reading I was leaning towards 1:1:1 ratio.

Usually when I start a new material, like carving soapstone or such, I start with something small to get a handle on the material before I set out to do what I had in mind in the first place.

Not this time. I may have been a little too ambitious. I decided to build it about 3 foot tall.

What follows is the work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment