Monday, November 9, 2009

First things... well, whenever.

Having thought I might make my own statue with Hypertufa, I read about working with Hypertufa online.

Rule 1: Safety. Wear gloves, goggles, respirator, and long sleeves when working with Portland Cement.

Rule 2: You can work it when it is wet, or one day dry - more then that and it is like carving stone.

There is rule 3 but I didn't pick it up till much further into the process.

Having decided to make a statue, I first made sketches of the one in the film from the DVD.



I then debated how to build the interior support structure. Most of what I had seen online was how to build planters. That was basically, find a bowl, pot, or bucket; cover it with plastic so you can get it to release; and then cover it with Hypertufa.

I knew it needed to be hollow; just for the weight issue if not for the cost. But how to do that ...

I set off to the hardware stores, the garden stores, and do-it-yourself centers. Just looking for ideas. I found a great pot that was almost right but was close to $200 just for it. G'ah. Keep looking and thinking. Hyla suggested paper mache, and I thought that might work for some of it. But it would still something about the right size for an under support.

No comments:

Post a Comment