Friday, November 6, 2009

Intent vs. Results

I tried to figure out why I was not happy with it.

It is a case of being too close to the object. I was working away with out stepping back enough. When I did step back and look at the original intent I realized I had diverged significantly from the original. That was why I was unhappy with the results. One lesson I was trying to keep in mind was: don’t let fear of failure keep you from trying.

This was my first try at a large sculpture and my first try at this material. It would be pretty amazing if everything went as planned. The question I faced now was: can I get something I like from what I have?

I thought about it for a while and decided that I had too much invested in terms of time, material, and money to just chuck it and start over. I was also too far along to make that significant an adjustment to the structure to bring it back in line with what I had originally wanted. Could I reach a point with what I had that I would happy with?

I think I can. I decided that since I was no longer trying for an exact reproduction I could make some other changes as well. The statue pictured in the movie has two faces, one opposite each other. But they have the essentially the same expression. I paused and backed up the DVD several times to make sure. I could do the more traditional two faces where they sort opposite expressions. The two halves in each of us.

Also, I had become convinced that it might just break up when I tried to remove the under structure.

This is when I found rule #3.

I was re-reading some of the online Hypertufa material and came across this advice.
If you want to build something large and heavy like a trough. You should build it in place where you want it to be.

D'oh. Oh, well. Too late now.

Trying to get the face was going to be tricky. I was trying to figure out a way to get a mouth that I would like. I finally built a cardboard cut out, covered that with plastic, and used it as a hand held form and support while shaping the mouth.



I also roughed out the second face.

No comments:

Post a Comment