Sunday, November 8, 2009

For the World is Hollow ...

After considering a variety of options for and having it sit in the back of my mind for a while; I decided to just leap in feet first. I bought the Portland Cement, peat moss, and vermiculite, some gloves, dust masks, towel, and mixing bin.

I decided to use a large plastic planter, and a 5 gallon bucket for basic form. But I needed a domed top ... paper mache! I was about ready to build the under structure.



I decided to build it on top of a circular board I had. I also put those on some cinder blocks to raise it off the ground a bit. A little painter's tape and mover's wrap ...



It almost looks like a Dalek.
But it needs more filling out. It is too tall and narrow. So I start adding newspaper to fill it out more.



I wrap all the newspaper in plastic so that it will hopefully release easier from the finished sculpture. I add a casing of chicken wire for the Hypertufa to stick to. In hind sight, I probably should have used hardware cloth, which is a wire mesh with a smaller screen size.

No comments:

Post a Comment